Sunday, February 23, 2014

Old Dog, New Tricks

I have a newly discovered respect for anyone that straps on a long pair of boards to their feet and tries to go down an incline with a more than 3 degree grade.  (Especially if they are trying to go straight.)  I also have a few newly discovered bruises on my knees, my elbows, my hands, and another rather unmentionable place.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Skiing has been on my bucket list for a long time.  It looks like so much fun, when you see all of those graceful, coordinated, practiced people doing it.  I already knew I wasn't coordinated, but I had to try it at least once.  So this past weekend, I met up with Kyle for a little introduction to the activity.

Luckily, he is very, very patient.

Turns out, I'm very good at turning right.  In a war between my left leg and my right leg, my left leg wins EVERY TIME.  Who knew it was so opinionated??  I certainly didn't.  I do now.

Turning left on skis is not really an option for me.  For that matter, going straight is not as easy as you would think it should be.  Head down the hill, veer right.  That's my M.O.  Even if there's a steeper hill over to the right.  One I really don't want to go down.  Even if there's a pole.  Or a net.  Or a chair lift.

Hence, the bruises.

But we had fun.  I think I'll go again.  :)


5 comments:

  1. Yay! Glad you liked skiing:) It is soo fun!!! I still havn't been this year yet, but that may change.. we will see:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm going to have to go again before I forget the teeny-tiny bit that I learned... but we'll see if that happens too :)

      Delete
  2. This cracks me up! And I think watching you would crack me up as well. From a safe, warm non-skiing spot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do what I can to provide entertainment... even if it means acquiring bruises :)

      Delete