Sunday, September 15, 2013

1408 pages...

This is my justification blog, to explain why I seem to have started a blog right at the exact moment in my life when I have nothing exciting going on.  

If you're an observant character, you might have noticed the title of this entry.  That's right, because I'm a nerd and like statistics and such, I counted up the pages on the syllabus for my upcoming exam... 1408 pages.  So, now that I have finally finished wading through all of it, I get to dedicate the next 6 weeks to forcing my brain to remember as much of it as I can.

When this is one's main activity, one is always looking for justifiable ways to procrastinate.  Hence, the creation of this blog.

Now, for my footnote.  Last year, my lovely sister and I spent many fun-filled hours on the phone in a scintillating dialogue revolving around group health insurance.  As it turns out, not only was this a barrel of laughs, it helped me to prepare for my exam as well!  Bonus!  So, anyone that wants to volunteer to join in the fun this year... let me know, and I'll send you the flashcards :D  Who knows, maybe you'll even discover that you too want to become an actuary!

5 comments:

  1. Who shall I pick....
    .... to turn out the lights :D

    One volunteer signed up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the topic for this exam? That may influence whether I volunteer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I take it no one else ever volunteered. Either that or you've been having much more fun than I can even imagine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, I missed my second volunteer by being too busy studying to check my blog! Mex, the topic was Group and Health Insurance, Core Topics. Core topics include various plan provisions for different types of group and health insurance, various rating methods, employee benefit strategies, government programs, financial statements for stat vs. GAAP reporting, regulation and taxation on insurance companies, and retiree benefits. It's boatloads of fun! But the exam is tomorrow, and I'm hoping to not repeat, so sounds like you may miss out on the fun this time!
    And Kam... having more fun than you can even imagine, yes. But you're my sole recipient of flashcard phone-a-thons. Lucky you :D

    ReplyDelete